Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Book # 11 FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS By: Hunter S. Thompson


I've never read any of Hunter Thompson's books. I've heard the legend of his lifestyle and legacy and I've read many articles by him in writing classes from old issues of Rolling Stone, Esquire, and Playboy to name a few. But it's pretty clear within the first chapter of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas why it's his most famous work.

It's easy to begin the book, pulled in by a hazy drug-induced picture of a red Cadillac, a hitchhiker, and cocaine being lost in the wind on a desert highway.

But to be honest it feels wrong to judge this book in the form of a review, so I won't say much. Not just cause it's iconic (for many books are) but because the format is so out of the norm. The narrative is inconsistent due to the surrealism of constant drug trips and abrupt changes in state of mind from the Mint 400 to reptile people bleeding all over the floor.

I can honestly say that I enjoyed this book, but I got the sense upon finishing it, that it's the kind of book you're meant to read more than once to get all there is to get.

Or maybe I haven't done enough drugs...

No comments:

Post a Comment