Monday, June 4, 2012

Book # 57 THE WEIRD SISTERS By: Eleanor Brown

I desperately wanted to like this book.  It sounded so romantic in it's way.  The story of three bookish sisters raised apart from main stream culture in a small college town by their eccentric parents (including a sick mother and a Shakespeare obsessed father)- I feel like I should have liked it.

There was nothing wrong with it that I can precisely pick out- though the ending left much to be desired (no one's life get's tied up with a pretty bow now, does it?)  It had interesting characters, occasionally relatable family dynamics, but ultimately it fell flat.   It boils down to Eleanor Brown (for me) being a beautiful writer, but substandard storyteller.  Just because you can string a beautiful sentence together doesn't mean that you have a captivating story.  I mean hell- Twilight was some of the worst writing in history- but we all kept reading, right?

I'm sure that the estrogen charge and Shakespeare quotes will keep this book a popular pick for suburban book clubs, but a literary gem it is not.  The water is lukewarm at best.

C+


**Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Writers


No comments:

Post a Comment