Sunday, January 4, 2009

Book # 9 THE QUEEN'S FOOL By: Phillipa Gregory


I generally have an aversion to books that contain overtones of romantic literature. However, I must say I continue to love Phillipa Gregory's fiction, despite the many disputes of it's historical accuracy.

The Queen's Fool is written in the time of Mary I ("Bloody" Mary) vs. Elizabeth I (The "Virgin" Queen).  We are in the point of view of Hannah: a fictional servant to the Queen Mary and the Princess Elizabeth, used for her gift to foresee the future.  

The story flip flops between: tensions at court and in England between the Roman Catholic faith (represented by Mary I) and the "heretical" Protestants (led by Elizabeth I) as well as Hannah's own story: a Jew who fled Spain after her Mother was burned at the stake for her faith.  

One of the best aspects of the book is how well-developed the two Queens are as women, not just as rulers [which any of us can get from history books].  Mary I is portrayed as a good woman (despite the brutal executions of hundreds of innocent people), but a very poor ruler.  Elizabeth I is seen to be an ostentatious flirt, but with the potential and good sense to far exceed her sister's quality of reign.  And from a reader's perspective, I don't think I ever quite got how groundbreaking Elizabeth I embracing freedom of religion was.  

Hannah's character is entirely fictional (though of course there were many Jews in England in hiding), but her story itself is more interesting than the seemingly ego-driven battle between the two half sisters.  

I easily recommend this whole series to anyone with the slightest interest in Tudor history, it's unendingly entertaining and I think more fun to research the differences in history and fiction on your own (but then again, I'm kind of a dork).  

Grade: B+

SIDE NOTE:  These books were written in sporadic timeline, If anyone should read these books, I suggest reading them in the order the came in history:

The Constant Princess (Katharine of Aragon)
The Other Boleyn Girl (Anne and Mary Boleyn)
The Boleyn Inheritance  (Jane Boleyn, Anne of Cleves, and Katharine Howard)
The Queen's Fool (Mary I and Elizabeth I)
The Virgin's Lover (Elizabeth I)
The Other Queen (Mary Queen of Scots)

1 comment:

  1. My least favorite...actually I think I still have to finish it!

    ReplyDelete