Friday, March 5, 2010

Book # 36 THE ALCHEMIST By: Paulo Coelho


The Alchemist is one of those books that I always hear is an inspiring personal epic. I always found that suspicious seeing as the story itself is less than 200 pages. A book can still be great no matter the length, but epic? It seemed a bit over-stated.

After reading it, I understand what "personal epic" means. The Alchemist is the story of Santiago, a young sheperd who travels from his homeland of Spain to Egypt in search of his 'personal legend' which he believes is treasure to be found in the pyramids. The fact that such a big story can be told in such a condensed way just proves what a great writer Coelho is. It never zoomed by too fast and it never felt heavy-handed or "flowery".

I've always been a sucker for any story that involves lots of travel (particularly places that are exotic to me) and this is no different. The backdrop pulled me in, but it's the idea of a 'personal legend' that makes this story lovely.

A

*The Strand 80
*Nielson Gold Book Award

2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to read this one and have never gotten around to it. It sounds just wonderful. I will have to add it to my TBR list after I finish the 100.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful book...I must have read it seven times :)

    ReplyDelete