Friday, August 28, 2009

Book # 18 THE BUDDHA OF SUBURBIA by Hanif Kureishi


I know that say that you can't judge a book by it's cover, but I will admit that most of the reason this book made it to my list is because I liked the title.  The whole "trouble in suburbia" thing has always been a theme I've appreciated and enjoyed.  

I know that people say it's a cliche, but I don't really care.  I've said it before and I'll say it again- when things become "cliche" it just means that they keep being true over and over and over again.  This book was kind of like American Beauty meets Revolutionary Road on crack.  

It's about a young man who's father is introduced to Buddhism and through that becomes a sort of guru for unhappy suburbanites.  Through the people who adore his father, he is able to become involved in the amazing world of drugs, sex, and punk rock in 1970s London.  

I'd say the biggest strength in The Buddha of Suburbia is that there is not a single mediocre character in it.  Karim, the novel's main character is a like able (albeit emotionally and sexually confused) young man.  Jamila is a intelligent and modern girl forever clashing with her family's expectation of what an Indian girl should be.  Charlie is a somewhat lost young man- always searching for the next big thing to be a part of whether it's worth anything or not.  There are dozens of other people, but it's safe to say that every one is an interesting and full-bodied character.

There are parts of the book that tend to drag (usually while Karim is in a depression), but the characters are worth sticking with it.

To truly give a plot outline of this book would give far too much of the great stuff away.  I would definately suggest giving it a read.  It's one of the rare instances where I can actually say that it's unlike anything I've ever read.  

B

No comments:

Post a Comment