Sunday, March 31, 2013

ADVANCE BOOK REVIEW (aka: Urgently Awaiting the Sequel Sickness) STAR CURSED By: Jessica Spotswood

Before June rolls around, please do yourself a favor and buy a copy of Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood.  Come June, you're going to want to have a copy of Star Cursed pre-ordered.

I read the first book in a flash and was left desperately wanting more.  The first book felt to me like Little Women meets The Crucible meets The Craft.  I fell in love with the characters in this alternate history of New England and the book finished on a cliffhanger leaving me panicked when the release date of the second book got pushed back.  Hence when an ARC of Star Cursed fell into my hands from a truly great friend I knew my weekend was gone.

Without giving away spoilers....

When Cate leaves home to join the Sisterhood she is thrown into the bustling world of New London.  With Cate safe inside it's walls of the Sisterhood, the world outside is changing as more and more rights are being taken away from young girls and women with every passing day.  The stakes are high when Maura, Tess, and Finn are brought to New London by circumstance and the fate of the sisters continues to be called into question by the prophecy.

Being one of the biggest fans there is of the first book I boldly declare that Star Cursed is even better than it's predecessor.  The character development, plot, love story, nail biting - all of it gets even better.  You couldn't ask me to pick a favorite sister as each of them is written to perfection and so deeply explored.  Finn Belestra is my all time favorite YA hero and nothing brings star crossed lovers together better than a common enemy.

Jessica Spotswood didn't disappoint with a  single thing- and that includes another cliffhanger ending that left me banging my head against a wall when I realized that having an advance copy of Star Cursed meant that I'd be waiting for the final book even longer.  ARGH!


A+

No comments:

Post a Comment