Sunday, December 27, 2009

Book # 31 A PRAYER FOR OWEN MEANY By: John Irving


1998's Simon Birch is very loosely based on this John Irving novel. It's about a boy who is physically underdeveloped who believes that he is an instrument of god. I don't remember the movie clearly at all, but I can tell you that I see why John Irving insisted that the title and names be changed (no disrespect to the film). The book (particularly the second half) is completely different from the film.

John Irving's writing reminds me in some ways of Michael Chabon. The language, the characterization, the politics- all in all reminded me very much of book #3 The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay. The book dealt with some taboo subjects of the time as well as throwing a huge attack toward Ronald Reagan and his policies. (the book while taking place in the 60s was originally published in 89)

I found it interesting that this book dealt sooo much with religion and faith in God, but never felt heavy-handed like it was trying to tip you one way or the other. It made me smile that this book took place almost in it's entirety in my favorite state of New Hampshire. I also found the descriptions of 1960s' New England mentalities to be very interesting.

The book had a lot to to with one's destiny and fate which I always find to be haunting subjects, but it did it very skillfully while delving into incredible times in American history.

I did enjoy this book, however unlike some of my earlier reads I can see this one not striking a chord with everyone.

B

*The Modern Library- Random House 100 Best
*Entertainment Weekly's: The New Classics

No comments:

Post a Comment