Thursday, September 17, 2009

Book # 23 THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO By: Steig Larsson


Similar to my feelings on The Buddha of Suburbia- I fell in love with the title of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and equally in love with it's successor The Girl Who Played With Fire. However, upon reading the premise- I was a bit hesitant. I find that while crime novels are most definitely entertaining, their formulaic twists and characters eventually become boring. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo is nothing like that.

We begin with the disgraced investigative journalist Mikael Blomkvist taking on an unorthodox assignment to solve an "unsolvable" murder case from 1966 just months before he goes to prison for libel.

Simultaneously Lisbeth Salander, an emotionally disturbed young woman (and a ward of the state) is working for a security firm and dealing with the newly appointed guardian a morally corrupt and abusive man.

Even though the tone of this book is similar to many crime novels, the plot and characters are anything but ordinary or formulaic. While Blomkvist is indeed a flawed character he is also one of the most "easy-to-like" I've ever read. The character of Salander is incredibly complicated and at times difficult to read- however whenever you read such a complicated character it's always fascinating to see how or if they handle life.

The way that the investigation of the murder as well as the aftermath of Blomkvist's court case unfolds is truly incredible. I was very disheartened when the story ended as I felt I had just gotten to know the characters.

I had initially intended to read The Life of Pi next. But The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo has proved too addictive, so I'm choosing to move on to it's sister book.

A+

*Glass Key Award 2006
*Boeke Prize 2008

*SIDENOTE: It breaks my heart that they are attempting an American version of this film- BUT the Swedish film is BRILLIANT. If you liked the book at all PLEASE seek out the film and watch it!

No comments:

Post a Comment