Thursday, January 22, 2009

Book # 15 DRACULA By: Bram Stoker


Obviously this story is legendary. Whether you've read the book, seen the movie, or anything else, we all get the general idea.  I saw the ill-fated Broadway musical in 2004 (and believe me it was VERY ill-fated) and I get the basic story just as much as I did when I first learned what vampires were.  

I have to say, most classic literature exhausts me.  I feel totally ignorant saying so, but it's true.  Something about the language just makes my head spin.  It's not that I don't understand it, but just that I'm so used to modern literature that the lyrical quality of the words makes me dizzy. 

The format of this novel reminds me of Leroux's Phantom of the Opera.  I've said this before with The Virgin Suicides, in that it's not just a flat out novel, but a collection of diary entry's to solve a mystery.  

I hate to say it, but this classical novel isn't much different from my feelings of the majority of classical literature.  (there are, of course exceptions, Phantom will always be one of my favorites)  I found the actual story and characters fascinating, but as a child of the 20th century, the language made me dizzy and I often asked, okay, what did I just read?  Again, I feel ignorant in saying so, but it's true for me.

I'm fully prepared to get rocks thrown at me for my opinion of what many see as their favorite book.  But while I appreciated the story, it couldn't cross the line for me into books that translate over time.

Grade: B

No comments:

Post a Comment