Friday, August 28, 2009

Book # 17 EAT, PRAY, LOVE by Elizabeth Gilbert


I generally don't have a big affection for memoirs. I've pretty much always found fiction to be more fascinating and even more so I find memoirs to leave too much room for wishy-washy soliloquies that I have little interest in given that there's normally no plot.

That being said- their actually is a story arc in Eat, Pray, Love. The first two sections of the book, while important to the actual author's life were the opening act to the third section where the story actually flies. That's not to say that the first two sections were not entertaining. The "Eat" section (a trip to Italy to practice the Italian language & of course, eat) would make anyone want to pretty much move to Rome (and eat their way through it). Part two ("pray") was also good, but had a tendency to fall away into miniature monologues about the search for God & peace. Not that I find either of those themes to be anything to turn your nose up at, but just not my personal taste when it comes to my reading of choice.

"Love" (as it often is in life) is the most interesting part. All three parts have beautiful, exotic backgrounds (Rome, India, Bali), but it's the human spark that makes the third part interesting. It's when you actually begin to feel as though you know (and more importantly care) about the characters.

It is ultimately no surprise to me that this book became the female phenomenon that it is, however, the truly extraordinary thing that I did not expect to find is actual literary value and something miles above the chick lit I assumed I would be reading.

B+

*New York Times Notable Book
*Entertainment Weekly's: The New Classics

SIDENOTE: While maybe not as "sexy" as Eat, Pray, Love- Elizabeth Gilbert's next book Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace With Marriage is a very worthwhile read if you're interested in what happens after happily ever after.


No comments:

Post a Comment