Friday, April 29, 2011

Book Appreciation of the Week: BENJY - By Edwin O'Connor


It's commonly inferred that the reading we do when we're young shapes who we are. While I believe that to a certain degree I'm not sure whether or not this book has shaped me. I do know however that this is the only book from my childhood that would make it into my top 10 favorite books of my life.

It may be perhaps that the character of Benjy is OBNOXIOUSLY perfect and the narrator gives us all a nudge that perfect children are assholes and that good behavior may actually be a BAD thing. (Is it weird that even as a second grader I liked this?) Mostly I appreciate with the humorous dysfunctional family (hell, the dad hides inside a TV set to get away from his wife!) that this book was so ahead of it's time (1957!) Not to mention the fact that this proceeded Shrek in that there's plenty of humor for adults in it as well.

For those who haven't read it- go order it from your local bookstore!!!

(No matter how old you are!)

OR


A+ (Chapter Book Technically Grades 4-8)

No comments:

Post a Comment