Monday, March 22, 2010

Book # 38 PRIDE AND PREJUDICE By: Jane Austen


This might just be the book that (so far) has appeared on the most "must read" lists. I had several hesitations for various reasons- ex: too many film/tv/theatre adaptations (though I loved the 2005 film), seemingly the beginning of "chick lit", flowery language I feared would be exhausting, etc. Therefore I was shocked that I read it so quickly and with such enjoyment!

The fact that I'd seen some of the film/theatre adaptations may have helped me through parts that I otherwise would've found exhausting. And TRUE, as a true child of the 20th/21st century I sometimes find romantic plots where everyone remains buttoned and zipped a bit dull. However with the characters in this book, I kind of understand when people refer to it as "chastely hot". There are so many classics that I find it hard to understand how people have suffered through it, but I'm happy to say that even though this is not my usual taste I really had fun in this world! AND MOST OF ALL, I think the lesson of first impressions and face value is one that you can never learn and reinforce enough in life.

A-

*NEWSWEEK's Top 100 Books
*The Strand 80
*Guardian.co.uk Top 100 Books of all time
*Random House Best 100

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my all-time favorite books. I never get tired of re-reading it. The film adaptations never really do it justice, although the BBC one was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must confess one of my all time favorite reads. It touches, I believe, a past life in all of us.

    ReplyDelete