Friday, August 28, 2009

Book # 20 WATER FOR ELEPHANTS By Sara Gruen


Way back when I started this project I read The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and one of the things I loved about it was that feeling of just a truly epic novel- pulling you from current reality into a completely foreign magical world. Water For Elephants is the first book since Kavalier and Clay that has given me that feeling.

It's the story of a young Cornell veterinary student who's parents pass away in the midst of the depression leaving him with nothing. After a breakdown leading to the lack of completion of his education he quite literally up and joins the circus.

The research alone that must have gone into writing this book blows my mind. The vast majority of the story takes place on the train that moves the circus from town to town. There seems to be something about the constant literal movement of the characters that contributes to this being a page turner. Like any good epic novel there is a love story and complicated sub plots, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone.

For the longest time this was one of those books with a pretty cover at the front of most book stores, I acknowledged it and moved on. I am so happy that I finally read this because I can safely say that this is now in my top 5.

A

*2007 Alex Award
*Book Sense #1
*2007 BookBrowse Award
*Most Popular Book Club Selection 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment