Sunday, November 27, 2011

10 Books I know I'm supposed to read but really don't feel like it...


1.) A Tale of Two Cities By: Charles Dickens

I read somewhere that this is the best-selling single volume book of all time. Well I’ll be damned if I didn’t space out by the fourth page. I’ve started it multiple times and OH MY GOD. I get that classic literature has value even though the language has become dated and all- but this book is impossible for me to read! Sorry Mr. Dickens- I liked Great Expectations but I think it’s time for us to break up now.

2.) War & Peace By: Leo Tolstoy

TOO LONG.

3.) Lord of the Rings By: Tolkien

Yeah...so I know that they're the best thing in the history of the planet and all- but I cannot get into Sci Fi/Fantasy stuff. I mean no disrespect by that but I have tried and all those fairies, elves, goblins, aliens, etc. make me feel like I'm on an acid trip that I'm not really enjoying. Maybe I should just read The Hobbit. That's like a kid-friendly Lord of the Rings- right?

4.) Animal Farm By: George Orwell

While I love dystopian fiction I was not a big fan of 1984- that kind of keeps my interest for this book at bay. Plus- didn't they reference this book on Gossip Girl? I feel like that alone should take away some of this book's street cred.

5.) Moby Dick By: Herman Melville

Something tells me this book should be something I would like. I know that this is the epitomy of the great American novel and all, but I seriously have to swim through the language to get to the adventure. Isn't it like Cujo but with a whale?

6.) Wuthering Heights By: Emily Bronte

This book probably has the best shot at getting me to sit down, read it, finish it, and (potentially) like it. That being said every time I sit down to read it I get distracted by the new and shiny books on the bestseller list. Sorry- maybe I'm more of a consumer that I'd like to admit.

7.) Gone With the Wind By: Margaret Mitchell

While I appreciate that this book probably has a lot of drama that I would enjoy- American history truly bores me. I know, I know- I'm a bad American. But I've never found US History interesting and the Civil War in particular is a very quick way to make me take a nap.

8.) The Fountainhead By: Ayn Rand

I've started this book three times. I'm pretty sure I've lied in conversation and claimed that I've finished it when I've been surrounded by other people who have- but cards on the table- never made it past page 70. I want so badly to love this book- but if I genuinely don't care by page 70- maybe I'm not meant to like it.

9.) Les Miserables By: Victor Hugo

I didn't even like the musical.

10.) Going Rogue By: Sarah Palin

HAHA. Just fucking with you.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hated The Fountainhead! When I finished it, I was like, "Where did those six months of reading time go? And for what?" Seriously. You could keep reading to page 500 and you would not be any more interested.
    I've read and liked a few things on this list but to be honest, I don't think you'll ever really miss not having read them. Except for Animal Farm. I hated 1984 but loved Animal Farm.

    -Maggie

    ReplyDelete