Wednesday, December 16, 2009

BOOK # 30 I'M WITH THE BAND: CONFESSIONS OF A GROUPIE By: Pamela Des Barres


I've wanted to read I'm With the Band ever since I saw Lorelai Gilmore reading it on television, little did I know how oddly connected I would feel to this book. For those of you who don't know, Pamela Des Barres is one of the most famous "groupies" of all time. This book follows her journeys from a young adolescent in Southern California to Sunset Strip cruising hippie to jet setting groupie- and it does it STUPENDOUSLY.

First off, I want to say that one of the best things about this book is that it doesn't try to be anything else than what it is. First of all, Ms. Des Barres did not use a ghost writer and THANK GOD, because with the use of her diary entries throughout her whole life along with the narrative, her voice can simply not be copied. I've read passages of Sarah Palin's "book" at work and it seems like she wants to be John Steinbeck (um...you're not...) It is so clear that this book is 100% Pamela and I truly admire how HONEST and UNAPOLOGETICALLY she tells us her story. This is what memoirs are supposed to be!

Of course it's wildly entertaining to read real candid stories about Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Mick Jagger, and MANY more- but mostly, I think I felt for Pamela, because many of the stories are her at the age I am now. Granted, I (sadly) do not have tons of sex with rock legends, but I felt very connected to her story and her feelings about being in her early twenties. This book is an absolute MUST for all classic rock fans and even more of a must for twenty somethings who just seem to be drifting...

A

SIDENOTE: This is being developed into an HBO series starring Zooey Deschanel.

*Top 10 Rock'n Roll Bios of all time
*BuzzFeed 65 Books You Need To Read In Your 20s

No comments:

Post a Comment