Sunday, January 11, 2009

Book # 12 REVOLUTIONARY ROAD By: Richard Yates


I once had a writing teacher who told the class that it was unwise to write in multiple points of view unless you were absolutely sure that you were great at it. Yet the trend I've noticed in the truly great books I've read is that practically all of them make use of multiple points of view. Revolutionary Road is no exception.

This entire book is like reading intensely detailed character studies within a portrait of the 1950s. I'm truly scared to see the movie now. Part of what makes this story so brilliant is that no matter what any of the characters do, it's easy to empathize with them, because you're so deep in their thoughts: you understand the motivation. I'm nervous that this amazing quality of the story cannot translate to film. This is a novel that is as close to perfect as I can imagine.

As I was reading it and even more so once I finished it, I felt that Revolutionary Road was the Great Gatsby of the 1950s: A completely perfect story to display the mentality of the time.

Grade: A+

*Time Magazine All-Time 100 Novels
*The Novel 100

1 comment:

  1. hmm i haven't read it but now i want to. preferably before i see the movie. preferably before the oscars. miss you love.

    ReplyDelete