Sunday, September 4, 2011

Summer Reading- STARTER FOR TEN By: David Nicholls


I am so sad that I've now finished all three of David Nicholls books that are currently in print. That being said- while this was the first book he wrote (and I did enjoy it) he definitely is on a consistent incline as a writer.

Starter For Ten while a charming coming-of-age story about a working class boy who's on scholarship to University and enters a popular quiz show- it's still the weakest of the bunch. I consistently enjoyed it and Nicholls's character development is still probably the best out there- but The Understudy and One Day is where he really continued to hone is craft and style.

The thing I find the most peculiar is that (of course) particularly now that the movie One Day has been hardcore marketed as a romance David Nicholls has kind of been given a "chick lit" label. I'd say that while One Day can be easily loved by both sexes- his first two would probably appeal to the male mind a tad more than your average woman- just a thought.


B

No comments:

Post a Comment